Growing up I remember people thinking ADHD wasn’t real. Oh, he is just hyper. He is a bad kid. These are things people would say. In reality, that child may have had ADHD. My husband was one of those “hyper” kids. Ends up he has ADHD. So what are the signs of ADHD?
- Less mature than other kids their age. Our doctor tells us to take 3 years off his age and that is the age we should put our expectations of him at. (This tip has been a huge help to us in raising him)
- Doesn’t seem to listen when spoken to directly.
- Doesn’t follow through on instructions and fails to finish responsibilities.
- Has problems organizing tasks and activities
- Avoids tasks that require mental effort over a long period of time.
- Has trouble holding attention on tasks or activities.
- Forgetful and loses things.
- Talks excessively and at inappropriate times.
- Interrupts or intrudes on others.
- Difficulty switching focus.
- Easily distracted, or as I like to call it “squirrels”.
- Difficulties with self-regulation.
- Makes impulsive decisions without considering the consequences.
These are just a handful of the signs of ADHD. There are also different types of ADHD which I will discuss in my next blog post.